Monday, July 6, 2015

Hot Wheels Parking Garage

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend! Hubby has been busy on a big project (get a sneak peek on Instagram!) and I've been helping where I can and trying to get over these pesky shingles. I woke up feeling much better than I was previously feeling, so fingers crossed that I'm on the upswing! :)
I'm so excited to be joining up again with a group of fabulous bloggers for our monthly blogger challenge! This month our theme was Pinterest Inspired. I have been eyeing car wall storage like this and this for a while now, so our challenge was the perfect push to get it done!
I decided to come up with my own building plans for this project. Most of the car storage racks I've seen have shelves that are held together by dowels on the sides. I wanted more of a clean, straight lined look, so we simply used pine 1x2 boards for the shelves and side. We attached everything with our nail gun, then used wood filler to fill the nail holes before sanding and giving the entire thing a couple coats of white spray paint. Jeremy was so sweet and built the entire thing for me. He did an awesome job! All I had to do was design and paint!
See that white board in between the shelves? Instead of needing to measure in between all ten shelves, Jeremy made himself a spacer from some scrap wood. It saved him a bunch of time!
Coffee + Painting= Relaxation :) 

For a little extra pizazz, I used scraps of wood to create buildings to go across the top. I painted them with cheap craft paint then used wood glue to attach them to the top. I was going for whimsical and child-like, so I didn't worry about adding too many details or making sure all of my lines were straight. Conveniently, child-like is about as high as my painting skills go. Ha! You could really get carried away and add lots of details like lines to look like brick or cute little flower boxes in the windows. Or, you could cover the wood scraps with cute scrapbook papers for patterned buildings. Whatever floats your boat!
We hung the car rack on two nails (one is in a stud) in a corner of the playroom. Here's how this corner of the playroom is looking now!
I absolutely love doing projects for Little Man, because his reactions are always precious. He didn't disappoint and enthusiastically complimented our work and excitedly filled all the shelves. Love!


Check out these other awesome projects from our July Pinterest Inspired challenge! 

Colorful Summer Rope Wreath

DIY Beachy Accents

Vintage Doily Table Runner

DIY Striped Growth Chart

Hot Wheels Parking Garage

DIY Sunburst Mirror

15 comments:

  1. I love this! Anything that organizes my life a little bit is great, but you've made this look decorative, too!! I love the little houses you painted on top, and how you made those little wooden houses. Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've gotta try out your rope wreath! It's so great!

      Delete
  2. i have seen a bunch of hot wheels storage this is my favorite love love xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!!! Hope you've had a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  3. That's one way to avoid stepping on them! Ouch! The little city on top is cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I've defnitely stepped on many of these! May I just say that the firetrucks are the worst?! Those little ladders are a killer on your feet. Hahaha!

      Delete
  4. That's such a great idea, I could have done with this about 12 years ago when my now 19 year old amassed a sizeable hot wheels collection. They stayed in plastic boxes but this would have been SO much better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad made my son one very similar to this and we love it. My daughter uses it for her little toys too as my son doesn't have enough cars to fill it (yet, he's not even 2). I like your designs on top. It's a fun addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Yes, my daughter quickly cleared out the bottom shelves and set up her little dolls. Ha!

      Delete
  6. Hi Samantha, I am visiting your blog from Thrifty Decor Chic and I have to tell you that I LOVE your whole home. I think we share the same design style. The Hot Wheels shelf is fantastic. I definitely could have used one like it when my boys were younger. My favorite room in your home, though, is your dining room. The new chandelier is beautiful as are the chairs and table that you made over. The chair fabric is gorgeous. Would you mind sharing the paint colors you used in the dining room and entry? Thanks. Go Patriots!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much for you kindness! Your comment made my day! Especially the Patriots part. Haha! ;) The entry and living room are Benjamin Moore Gray Owl. I'm not sure what color the dining room is. It was green when we moved in. Sadly, the paint is getting old and yucky looking, so we're planning to repaint it soon with something similar. I'll be sure to post what we find!

      Delete
  7. This is seriously too cute. I really love that you added the building on the top!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this! So sweet and great that he loved it! My little boy is only a year old but I can already see his interest in all things with wheels so this project or something like it might need to be in his future! Thanks for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Samantha, I love this project! I wanted to let you know I am featuring it on Motivational Monday tonight! You can view my full post here: http://makingitinthemitten.blogspot.com/2015/07/motivational-monday-july-19th.html
    Thanks for linking up with us and Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...